Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Salt, salt, salt (not Jimmy Buffett)

On 8/16/2015 7:29 AM, songbird wrote:
> User Bp wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>>
>>> If there was iodine in the salt you used you will have cloudy pickles if
>>> I remember correctly.

>> Is the damage mostly cosmetic, or does it impair edibility?

> the cookbook we use (from a long time ago)
> mentions cloudy brine and the pickles may get
> darker in color. it says nothing about the
> taste being affected, but perhaps the super-
> tasters may be able to notice the difference.
>
> we've made two batches of bread and butter
> pickles so far this year and we've already
> opened and finished a jar from the first batch.
> yum!
>
> looks like the cucumbers are not flowering
> much at the moment in this heat, but they may
> have a chance to continue as there are still
> green leaves on them and they are still growing.
>

> songbird

In daily temps where the heat index is around 104 to 106 our cukes are
gone as are the green beans, lima beans, the chiles and eggplant are
producing tiny fruit so may as well be gone. We're in the usual argument
where the clinical one, me, and the passionate one, her, are arguing
about murdering the rest of the garden. I see no point in trying to keep
plants that don't produce anything worth while. I think I am winning as
she who must be obeyed as said let's kill the garden. We do have two
young yellow squash giving us enough fruit for a meal each week so they
will live.

I think we will begin amending the raised beds next week and get them
ready for the fall garden. Has to be done in the very early dawn or
almost dark or the heat gets us. This has been the worse summer heat I
have seen in years. Lived in Saudi Arabia for five years and had daily
temps as high as 125F but the humidity was something like 5% whereas it
is always in the nineties here, or even higher at times. Got a little
sprinkle of rain yesterday, didn't even stain the board fence, I think
it was evaporating before it hit the ground. Even the dawg doesn't want
to go outside.

Come on fall.