Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Salt, salt, salt (not Jimmy Buffett)

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 16:20:20 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 8/15/2015 3:17 PM, gloria p wrote:
>> On 8/14/2015 11:59 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> Just back from a visit to the stupor market, egad! canning jars and lids
>>> at retail are ridiculous. Probably by mid-October both will be heavily
>>> discounted. I don't need any as I have about eight dozen jars of varying
>>> sizes up to half gallon. I AM NOT A HOARDER, no matter what my wife and
>>> children say.

>> I used to get some good deals on jars in thrift stores. No longer.
>> Most places now want $1 apiece. I've stopped going to thrift stores.
>> There are no longer bargains or exceptional "finds" like silver or
>> pewter or even real Corningware. Bah, humbug.
>>
>> gloria p

>There was a community thrift store in Sulphur, LA that we hit weekly
>when we lived there. Lots of good stuff, when the old ladies passed
>their kids gave all their canning stuff to the thrift store and they
>would call me and I would go and buy it all. Mostly for pennies on the
>dollar for what they would cost retail.
>
>My best score ever was in the late eighties, went to a church sale at
>the local Penecostal church. Ran up on over 200 canning jars, bought
>them for 5 cents each and they were happy and so was I. Also bought an
>old cross cut two-man saw, a one man crosscut saw, and a few other tools
>for not a lot of money. I paid what they asked for and we all felt good.
>
>A few years later I was helping a friend fell a dead tree in his
>property and the neighbor gave me $500 for the two saws. I felt bad so
>gave half to the same church and we were both happy then. Good thing I
>sold them as I was getting to old to be a lumberjack anymore anyway.
>
>I don't visit Goodwill or other places like that as they are pricing
>themselves out of business. I will hit a church sale anytime I see one.
>
>When we moved back to Texas in 2012 the Sulphur store got lots and lots
>of stuff that we had had for years and had not seen any of it for most
>of those years. We've still got more stuff than two old people and a
>little dog need but most of that is Miz Anne's and I don't mess with her
>stuff. She might decide to get into my stuff if I did. <G>

When we lived in Virginia we would go to a "junk" store in Norfolk. It
had mostly what was junk to me but one day as I was wandering around I
saw an All-American 915 canner and I think the other thing was a
Squeezo. Turned out the owner's wife used them for a year or so,
stopped canning, and he was selling. Think I paid about $50 for both.
After we moved to North Carolina we wandered into a church sale and
found an All-American 921 and paid about $30 for it.

We found that in our rural area yard sales are a great place to buy
canning jars and other such stuff. We hit one that had basement
shelves filled with jars of food. We selected jars we wanted, took
them out to the woods on our property and emptied them out and ran
them through the dishwasher.

Now I am thinking about getting rid of many of my jars. I am not
canning as much since I went down to the basement and saw how much
"canned stuff" was there and how old it was. So as I feel like it I
am emptying the jars and setting aside the ones I want to keep and
putting the other in boxes. Will check with younger son to see if he
wants them. If he doesn't, Habitat with probably get them.

Time to get to work on the tomatoes what are all over the kitchen &
dining room. Brought the 15 quart canners up rather than try to do 4
jars at a time. I did manage 14 pints of tomato relish on Wednesday.

--
Susan N.