WiScottsin

Default Cold smoking in WSM

I'm considering making some summer sausage out of a bunch of ground venison
that I have in the freezer, using my WSM. We used to make it on my great
uncles farm in very large quantities, and smoke in a great old offset smoker
with a small barrel stove providing smoke for an old refirigerator that was
lined with steel. Unfortunatley, he and the farm are not with us anymore.

I was reading on the webervirtualbullet.com site and saw the mod for
constructing a separate cardboard box and tube devices, and I trust that
works as I've gotten good advice from the other parts of the site.

But I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried cold smoking in the WSM without a
separate "smokebox". Either using wood/charcoal for fuel or possibly
slapping an electric hotplate on the charcoal grate with some chunks/chips?