William R. Watt

wash the crabapples and rub off the blossom ends.
a good way to wash them is cover in water and stir,
they clean themseves by rubbing together. this is also a good way to
wash potatoes. I dump crabapples in a tub of water where they clean as I
stir and take them out one-by-one to rub off the blossom ends, a
pleasant, relaxing way to pass a warm afternoon seated outdoors.
removing the stems is optional. it might affect the tase but I've never
noticed. if you don't boil the stems they can't do much so long as they are
clean.
I put the pot on low heat and just simmer until the skins start to split (no
need to waste electricity), depending on how big the crabapples are. I mash
smaller varieties without waiting for any skins to spit.

as for saving your jelly at this point, just collect as much juice as you
can and proceed.

lesson learned: jelly making is a labour intensive activity which is why
people in industialized countries don't do it anymore except as a hobby,
the cost of labour being what it is these days, and except perhaps in
France where anything remotely agricutural is heavily subsidised by
taxpayers.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm