Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] kulturkalenderfrena@gmail.com is offline

Default Elderflowers smell of cats?

søndag 1. juni 2003 15.48.27 UTC+2 skrev Pickle følgende:
> I decided to make some elderflower wine, today I have been out and picked a
> bagful of flower heads. Have just poured boiling water on them, and I can
> only describe the smell as "tomcat".
> Is this normal, I haven't added any sugar or anything else as yet, if anyone
> knows if they are the wrong kind of elderflowers or something, can you reply
> asap please? I won't add the sugar yet, then if people think it's going to
> be no good I can throw it out.
> Thank you

I know it has been ages since this question came up, but I didn't see the answer enywhere...

If you pick the flowers in the morning - preferably while there still is a bit of dew on them - they will smell as you hope. If you pick them too late in the afternoon/evening they will - unfortunately - smell a wee bit (haha) like (you were ringt) cats wee!

I don