Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

Default Currant cake question

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:28:08 -0700, Eric Jorgensen >
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:17:47 +0200
>Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:
>
>> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Wed, 4
>> Feb 2004 03:08:33 -0700, during the rec.food.baking Community News
>> Flash Eric Jorgensen > reported:

>> >spaces).> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:41:15 GMT,

>> >raisins),> >I don't know which one is correct.

>> >a> cake that needed to travel well.
>> >

>> > The currants i know and love

>> While this was fascinating (it really, really was, actually), let's
>> not forget that the person just needed to know what is close for him
>> to use when translating the word.
>>
>> (I was speaking as a writer, not a baker in this sense!)

> Oh, I agree. I sorta hoped to address that, but without knowing what
>language it's being translated into (I'm presuming it was originally
>written in english) it's tough to make a specific suggestion, because
>even nouns vary in their meaning from culture to culture and from era
>to era.
>
> Translators ultimately end up making judgment calls. Sometimes
>they're weird.
>
> Example: at the beginning of a particular japanese movie,
>if you watch the original subtitled japanese release from the early
>90's, the subtitle says "Give me three red bennies" - but if you watch
>the special edition re-release from 2000, it reads "give me three
>peanuts". This was really confusing, since the character speaking is a
>member of a biker gang called the 'red bennies', and he wears a
>red jacket with an enlarged image of a red and white capsule on the
>back.
>
> It turned out that when the movie was originally made,'red benny'
>was common slang for a methamphetamine pill. But in 2000, the common
>slang for a methamphetamine in japan was 'peanut'. Somehow the
>translators decided that what they were translating was "popular street
>name for speed" rather than "The name of Kaneida's biker gang, in order
>for us to properly foreshadow the ensuing chase scene."
>
> So, anyway, now that the etymology in english is clear, one can then
>compare that to the etymology in the target language, whatever that may
>be. Like i said, "pimento" is allspice berries in some cases, bell
>peppers in others, occasionally black pepper, and additionally whatever
>that is they stuff in olives and make pimento spread out of, which
>doesn't look or taste like like any of the above to me. We have the
>spanish to thank for that conundrum.

Didn't have the heart to snip any of this. I like you! You should
visit a usenet writing group. Mind you, the one I'm on is more about
politics and philosophy and fighting (misc.writing), but still...

(... it was a fun read.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida @ jdc . org . il>