Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > I may try juicing the next batch in the steamer and see what
> > difference it makes.
> >
> > Best regards, Bob

> I picked out the dead blossoms with my thumbnail as a sorted the
> crabapples, then washed them, and put them in a big stockpot. I added
> about 5 1/2 cups of water, brought them to a boil, simmered for 5
> minutes, and started mashing them with a potato smasher.
>
> It looks like mixture of ketchup and applesauce. There's no way this
> will drip through a jelly bag -- and not all the crabapples have even
> broken up yet. If I run this thru a food mill, I will get sour red
> applesauce.
>
> Do I need to add a bunch more water? Is it cheating to add frozen
> concentrated apple juice if I water it down too much trying to get it to
> drip?
>
> Bob

Sweeten the mush for sweeter applesauce. Or make crabapple butter. I'd
pitch it, myself. Your mush problem is exactly why I don't boil my
fruits -- they turn to mush and the juice takes forever to drip, if it
does. I've got time, but not forever. Mashing them didn't help a bit.
What were you thinking? I sliced in the food processor the first batch
of Dolgos I did; I threw the second batch in whole, with the trimmed
ends. The steam extracted great juice from both of them. I don't know
about adding more water. Heck, add the apple concentrate if you think
it's gonna be too wimpy. <sigh> I don't even think I'd pressure cook
the apples to cook them -- that would really turn them to mush, I think.
Good luck.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.