Jayde

I'm new to this newsgroup, so this reply is a bit late - I don't use
scallions for this dish...

Here's what I generally put in:

chicken morsels
shrimp (shelled)
shiitake mushroom*
slice of kamaboko (fish cake)

The following ingredients are used also, but it's difficult to obtain them.
You may find them at China Town if there's one relatively close to where you
live.

mitsuba
gingko nut
yuzu (little lime slivers without the white, can be used as a substitute)

*Dried Shiitake should be soaked in water with a pinch of sugar, and soaked
for at least overnight; I try to break most of the tiny bubbles that form at
the rim of the cup with chopsticks. I steam them on the stove top with
cheesecloth wrapped around the cover.

As for dashi, I just use the Hon-Dashi brand (powdered). For scratch, dashi
ratio for me may be something like 3 cups water to 5 g bonito flakes, and 2"
square of konbu kelp... I usually eye and taste it. I absolutely love
chawan-mushi. It reminds me of my late grandmother ... unfortunately, none
of us thought to ask what her recipe was!

~ Jayde

"Naughyde" > wrote in message
| I fell in love with chawan mushi at Medori's Floating World Cafe in
| Minneapolis. I'm going to try to make it myself, I usually don't attemp
| delicate foods. I'm a good but rough cook. I have a recipe, fyi it's
| basically a custard made with dashi and eggs. You can put little good
things
| in it like fish or scallions, but not much. I'm making the dashi from
scratch.
| I don't have the special ramekins so I'll use mugs and cover with foil,
put in
| a pan with boiling water, and bake in oven (all per recipe from Ming
Tsai's