View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Asst. wines 1962-2014 on Memorial Day weekend

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 1:18:47 PM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> Saturday night I had some thawed oxtails with a bottle of the 1997 Behrens and Hitchcock Syrah. Zero expectations for this, as I knew it had a plastic cork and the late 90s B&H wines were dying 10 years ago. Surprise, surprise. No oxidation, fruit is plentiful. However, sweet/surmaturite notes, some heat, not my style. But better than I expected. B-/C+
>
> Saturday AM I emailed a friend who had missed previous night's tasting to see if he and family wanted to come to dinner over next couple nights, as he just had a birthday and I had something I wanted to open for him. When I didn't hear from him I decided to throw a party (even without Betsy) on Monday. Then Sunday afternoon my friend called- they were on way back from Philly, was invite still open? Sure, invited another family, and then scrambled for food. Merguez sausages, a soba/veg salad, "london broil", mushrooms, and some cauliflower/Brussels sprouts from Alex. 5 adults and 4 kids on pation, a long and pleasant night.
>
> 2008 Juve y Camps Brut Nature Gran Reserva Cava
> Crisp, steely, very good. B+
>
> 2012 Clos des Lunes
> Cooking wine for the mushrooms, but we tried as well. Rounder/fuller style of Bordeaux blanc than most inexpensive ones, good lenght, just a little soft on acids. B
> .
> 2014 Cantalupo "Il Mimo"
> This used to be a favorite rose, but last few years lack acids and seem a touch sweet. Not a re-buy. B-/C+
>

Disappointed to hear about the Cantalupo. It has been one of my favorites as well and I had only bought one bottle to try and haven't opened it yet.