Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan
Rat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

> > > Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

> > I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.
> >
> > > Does anyone know what causes the scum?

> > Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)

> I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you
> take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a
> dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't
> needed to bother about scum anyway).

> Rachael

Yeah, I've seen it and done it - but only about a half teaspoon. I
think the SureJell leaflet might advise it - or offer it as an option.
And IMHO it doesn't really do the job totally - may reduce foaming a
bit, but not entirely. I've read some stuff that steers one away from
it on the chance of rancidity. I don't know how likely that is,
though. I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
inside source in the food production industry. It works pretty well;
better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.