Posted to alt.food.wine
graham[_4_] graham[_4_] is offline

Default Viognier

On 25/04/2015 8:15 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 9:22 AM, santiago wrote:
>> Mike Tommasi > wrote :
>>>
>>> Chateauneuf white from
>>> Domaine de la Janasse is very good.

>> Had it once... I liked it and was very happy to have put it in a taste
>> with
>> friends. But I did not purchase more to drink or lay down for some time.
>>

> I've not had much reason to say "Viognier" but it occurred to me find
> its pronunciation today. From the web I find it's "vee ànn yáy", which
> is easier than some of my attempts. I suppose "ànn" represents a French
> nasal "O".

It's the short "O" sound not Viownyay or Vyownyay.
It seems to be an ignorant, middle class affectation to lengthen vowel
sounds. Risotto becomes "rizoatoh" and I don't know where Coasta Rica is:-)

--
"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion
will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the