Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default In search of Darjeelings

M. Blot > wrote:
>If I may add a comment. I have devoured various Darjeeling teas for
>decades. At present, I find nothing superior to a fresh Namring Estate.

It just happens that I am drinking the Namring second flush from Harney and
Sons this morning. I like it a lot, but it's a very different style than
most of the more popular first flush Darjeelings. It's much darker, without
that green note, and I'd suggest it's probably withered a lot more thoroughly
than the typical Darjeelings. This is something I like a lot, but not
everyone does (as witnessed by the large number of grassy darjeelings out
there).

I posted a month or two ago about testing a short list of second flush
Darjeelings... everything I tried had some good character of some sort.

> Year-old teas are generally quite drinkable and good value, but do not
>compete in flavour with current year teas.

If you're lucky, they have been stored well and are nearly as good as the
fresh tea. If you're not lucky, they can be like lawn clippings. It all
depends on how well they were stored.
--scott