Posted to rec.food.cooking
graham[_4_] graham[_4_] is offline

Default Which ham for Easter?

On 28/03/2015 8:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/28/2015 8:44 PM, Nellie wrote:
>
>>> Fresh ham, the king of roasts. Cured hams no matter which is crap
>>> they're just preserved chemically treated ham. Once you try fresh ham
>>> cured will never again satisfy.

>> Okay, sounds good, thanks. Anything in particular I should ask for?
>> or will it be obvious? Lunardi's butchers are great and I rely on
>> them quite a bit, but there are some young butchers working there and
>> I worry that they may not know all that they should.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Nellie
>>

> Fresh ham will be with the rest of the pork if available. It is a pork
> roast, not at all like a cured ham.
>
> Ham sort of has two meanings. The ham is a cut of meat from the rear
> leg of the hog. It is a nice big tender piece of meat.
>
> The term "ham" is also used for some cured pork roasts. The front
> leeg, when cure, is often call the Picnic Ham.
>
> Sheldon does not like cured ham. Many of us do. Cured and fresh are
> both good, just different.

It's the old, old story, isn't it?
The idea that a pork leg can be called a "fresh ham" is N.American usage
as is the idea that cider can be non-alcoholic.

And *don't* ask our Australian posters to tell us what they do with ham
bones!
Graham

--
Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he wastes the rest of his life.