Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Which ham for Easter?

On 3/28/2015 8:44 PM, Nellie wrote:

>> Fresh ham, the king of roasts. Cured hams no matter which is crap
>> they're just preserved chemically treated ham. Once you try fresh ham
>> cured will never again satisfy.

> Okay, sounds good, thanks. Anything in particular I should ask for? or will it be obvious? Lunardi's butchers are great and I rely on them quite a bit, but there are some young butchers working there and I worry that they may not know all that they should.
>
> Thanks again,
> Nellie

Fresh ham will be with the rest of the pork if available. It is a pork
roast, not at all like a cured ham.

Ham sort of has two meanings. The ham is a cut of meat from the rear
leg of the hog. It is a nice big tender piece of meat.

The term "ham" is also used for some cured pork roasts. The front
leeg, when cure, is often call the Picnic Ham.

Sheldon does not like cured ham. Many of us do. Cured and fresh are
both good, just different.