Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default [British-style tea] What did Orwell mean?

Lewis Perin > wrote:
>kludge writes:

>>I use a Chatworth "vitrified hotelware" pot so I don't have to worry about
>>pre-warming the pot! I highly recommend them!

>Are you saying that when you pour boiling water into the Chatsworth, the
>pot removes only a negligible amount of heat from the water?

Right, the material is very very thin and so there is little thermal mass
to take heat up, unlike a thick earthenware pot. And, unlike a thin porcelain
pot, it won't crack from the thermal shock.

Now, the bad news is that heat loss via radiation is more significant than
it is with a thick earthenware pot.

Hmm... you know.... you might be able to pre-warm a pot effectively by
pouring hot water on top of it rather than inside it.
--scott