Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default [British-style tea] What did Orwell mean?

Dario Niedermann > wrote:
>Oregonian Haruspex > wrote:
>
>> An old-style wood or coal fired stove was often constructed with the
>> entire top surface as one large piece of cast iron. The fire would
>> usually be the most intense off to one side where the firebox was, and
>> the further you got from that side the cooler it became progressively.
>> At the opposite side from the firebox the stove would be well below a
>> simmer (say 70-80º C or so) so you could place things you wished to
>> keep warm there.

>Interesting, thanks! I wonder if there is a way to reproduce this with
>a modern gas stove. I'm interested in this waterless teapot-warming
>technique, because I often want to re-warm a 'pot containing spent
>leaves from a previous brew, to which I'll add fresh leaves to make new
>tea. So that, in a way, the two teaspoons of spent leaves, already in,
>are "for the teapot" and one teaspoon of fresh leaves "for me".

I don't think you could use it readily unless you kept the stovetop warm
for a good time, say with a cast-iron pan that had been left at low heat for
an hour or so.

>Does anyone use this method? It seems to work, taste-wise, especially if
>the teapot hasn't gone cold.

I use a Chatworth "vitrified hotelware" pot so I don't have to worry about
pre-warming the pot! I highly recommend them!
--scott