Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan-TGWWW Bryan-TGWWW is offline

Default Salad Dressing

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 3:52:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 1:58:27 PM UTC-5, BBQ wrote:
> >
> > I want a salad.
> > Of course I need salad dressing as well.
> >
> > I want it creamy and rich, but without adding all of the fat, so I
> > simply use a mixture of half mayonnaise and half greek yogurt. The
> > greek yogurt is a healthy alternative to using all mayonnaise as there
> > is less cholesterol.

Folks who worry about dietary cholesterol are pretty much clueless.

> Be wary of Greek yogurt's fat content. In just 7 ounces, Fage's full-fat Greek yogurt packs 16 grams of saturated fat--or 80 percent of your total daily allowance if you're on a 2,000-calorie diet. (That's more than in three Snickers bars.) Dannon's regular full-fat yogurt has 5 grams of saturated fat in an 8-ounce serving. Saturated fat raises total and "bad" LDL cholesterol levels, increasing the risk for heart disease. Read nutrition labels carefully. If you're going Greek, stick to low-fat and fat-free versions.

More worrisome is the high omega-6 content of the "mayonnaise" he's using,
which is likely made with soy oil. If the OP is going to go through the
process of mixing up a concoction, why not make homemade salad dressing with
high oleic, low polyunsaturate oil?

And Joan, lumping all saturated fatty acids into this category, "saturated fat,"
is nonsense. Many saturated fatty acids are quite healthful, and some raise HDL
levels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauric_...nal_properties

People THINK they understand dietary fats, and they are continually blowing out
their asses about them.

--Bryan