Peter Aitken

Default Brining a kosher turkey

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:19:22 -0500, Peggy
> > wrote:
>
> >Peter Aitken wrote:
> >> I've heard speculation that kosher poultry needs less brining because

of the
> >> salt used in the koshering process. Does anyone have any experience

with
> >> this? I am planning on trying the Chez Panisse (sp?) brine that was

posted
> >> here recently but do not want to end up with an over-salted bird.
> >>

> >A kosher bird is already brined. You're going to have a pretzel on your
> >hands.

> They're not brined. They're rinsed, salted for an hour, and then
> rinsed again. This is not the sam process as brining. Very little,
> if any, salt remains in the processed product.
>
> -sw

I contacted the people at Empire Kosher Poultry and also looked at their web
site where they have a detailed description of the process. Now I am even
more confused! The process is as Steve describes, more or less. THe web site
says the birds may be salty and suggests soaking in plain water for an hour
or so before cooking. The response from a customer service person was that
the turkeys "are already brined" so I should not brine them more. In any
case I will skip the brining and see how it turns out.

--
Peter Aitken