Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Nielsen[_4_] Michael Nielsen[_4_] is offline

Default 2003 La Tour Carnet, Haut-Medoc Grand Cru Classe 4.cru.

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 1:11:17 PM UTC+1, Timothy Hartley wrote:

> This is not untypical of the year to year variation of many, though by
> no means all, Bordeaux blends -- with perhaps the exception of 2012
> where the variation does seem great given that -- according to its
> website -- the vineyard is planted to 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 50%
> Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot. The growers seek to
> make what they regard as the best wine possible from the vintage so
> that in a hot year the proportion of Cabernet is likely to increase
> to bring freshness to the wine which would otherwise be lacking in
> that year. In a lighter or cooler year the proportion of Merlot is
> likely to be higher to give the extra fruit and fullness to the wine.
> Those growers who are particularly concerned to express terroir rather
> than make a very modern wine which could be from anywhere will try to
> achieve a wine which does just that and which will be recognisable as
> their estate's wine from year to year even if it varies somewhat in
> blend.

Aha. I thought the goal of tweaking the blend was to make as uniform a wine as possible from year to year - changing the blend being "tweaking" - subtle changes in the blend, not tipping over the balance completely. So when noting that I like a wine, I have to note the name and vintage.
Wine ={Name, Vintage} is the correct identifier for that wine I tasted and like. {Name,Vintage+1} can be a completely different wine.
Maybe that's why I feel safer with Californian wines as they are more equal between vintages.