Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
bbq bbq is offline

Default Bean-less chili volume

On 1/30/2015 10:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:57:16 -0600, bbq wrote:
>
>> How much chili ground chuck roast will I need to make 5 gallons?

> [Raising hand Horshack style] Ooh! Oooh! I know this one Mr Kotter!
>
> Zero!
>
> Because you need to use 3/4-1" dice (not ground!) chuck or sirloin
> instead. You should be able to get it for $5 or under at a restaurant
> supply or big box store. A whole top sirloin (for example) should
> weigh about 12. There's about 7 pounds of lean, raw meat in a gallon.
>
>> anticipate to use canned crushed tomatoes, fresh chopped
>> onions/garlic/peppers, plus the spices/herbs.

> I suggest you research your recipes carefully and don't try and wing
> it at the last minute. You're gonna spend $100+ on this thing.
>
> A recent article and recipe of sorts for the real deal.
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/dining/texas-chili-makes-a-welcome-guest.html?mabReward=CTM&action=click&pgtype=Homep age&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp &WT.nav=RecEngine&_r=2>
>
> -sw

Thanks. I checked out a few recipes today that called for 2 1/2 lbs or
so of chuck and was reported to be about 6-8 servings. But did not say
if they were 1 cup servings (which seems small to me as a typical
serving size) or a more typical serving size that might be more like 1
1/2 to 2 cups,

I have a cook partner, so we will split the cost and the work in cutting
up the beef into chunks instead of being ground up.

I joined the Kansas City Barbecue Society, so I have permission to shop
and purchase at Restaurant Depot.

Found a turkey fryer with a 29 qt pot and 38,000 BTU burner for $28.00.
Still need to get a tank and propane. Yea, I will have some bucks into
this.

Thanks,
Rick