Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
bbq bbq is offline

Default Bean-less chili volume

I signed up to be in a Chili Cook-Off. This is not any kind of Chili
Society sanctioned contest. Just an annual local contest. It is
sponsored by Schells, Grain Belt and City Pages (a local freebie weekly
newspaper). So there is some respectable prize money involved. $1000
for 1st place, $300 for 2nd place and $200 for 3rd place.

Basic rules a
No beans
No pasta
No pre-cooked meat
All fresh ingredients need to be prepared on-site
Canned, jarred or bottled ingredients are acceptable
Sounds like I can pre-mix a Chlil seasoning
Have to make a minimum of 5 Gallons of Chili
No power supplied, so it looks like I will need a turkey fryer or
something similar to cook this volume.

Five gallons is a lot of chili to cook. Making it a bean-less chili,
makes it more challenging.

How much chili ground chuck roast will I need to make 5 gallons? I
anticipate to use canned crushed tomatoes, fresh chopped
onions/garlic/peppers, plus the spices/herbs.

Other recipes I have seen call for 12-20 lbs of meat for 5 gallons of
bean-less chili. Twenty lbs. of a chili grind chuck roast at $4.99/lb.
will make this contest quite expensive to participate in.

I suppose I could try and do a white chili(using chicken), but this
being a "general public" voting contest, I am not so sure that would
have a chance at the grand prize. :-)

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Rick