Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default Chateau Larose-Trintaudon Haut-Medoc 2007

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> Chateau Larose-Trintaudon Haut-Medoc 2007 ***
>
> First time I buy a cheap french wine in a supermarket in many years
> paid off. I was shopping and saw this one for 16E, and I felt
> adventurous. Haut Medoc/Paulliac

Pauillac, you mean

are my favourite french regions, so
> there was a chance I'd like it, while I didnt expect much since I
> never had one in a supermarket that was good. It was a dark fruity
> with mineral, but very smooth, lacking some texture (that could have
> given it 4 stars). Not as acidic and thin as french wine often is.
>

> Pictu
>
> http://www.wiredforwine.com/featured...trintaudon-hau
> t-medoc-2009-91pts

But was it 2007 or 2009? Very (very) different vintages. 2007 is a very
weak vintage, with plenty of diluted wines, and if you dislike french wines
for being "thin and acidic" this is the kind of Bordeaux vintage to avoid.

2009, on the other hand is an exhuberant, very ripe vintage for Bordeaux,
specially on the right bank. Saint-Emilion 2009 is not thin and acidic, you
can take that for granted. Try Sansonnet 2009 and tell me if you think this
is thin <big grin>

For what is worth, considering french wine as thin and acidic is quite
unfair, since France is quite a large country with a high diversity of
terroirs. You cannot compare a red from Anjou and one from Languedoc-
Roussillon.

If you like riper reds, I think you should concentrate on Saint Emilion in
Bordeaux, and then the wines closer to the Mediterranean Sea: Languedoc
Roussillon, Rhone Sud, Provence...

A hint: Domaine de la Janasse Vin de Pays de la Principauté d'Orange "Terre
de Bussiere". A wine of 12 euros that tastes as a wine of 25 euros. And it
is clearly ripe (which is the style of Janasse). If you find Janasse thin
and acidic, then clearly french wine is not for you.