Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default On waffles, pancakes, and Laura Ingalls Wilder

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:21:33 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> likes movies with car chases and explosions, and who, if they'd been dragged
> by the wife/GF to see The Fault In Our Stars, and would rather have a root
> canal than sit through that again would hate it.

I borrowed the DVD out of curiosity, some weeks ago.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever been attracted to characters who
were more angelic than myself. By contrast, a little healthy sense of
cynicism can be very attractive indeed, so long as it's not used as an
excuse to be rude or surly. (Besides, I didn't find that business with
the cigarettes to be at all cute - and the vandalism scene may have been
meant to make him seem more "real," but I hated the scene for all the
reasons anyone might.)

But, years ago as a teen, I certainly often loved famous men in the
movies with boyish faces, though every one of them was older than I
was. Sometimes a lot older.

And here are some interesting comments about "perfect" young men in
movies (the other movies were Twilight and The Hunger Games):

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/02...inglepage=true

jmarie
"As the mom of two teenaged boys I have to say you'd be surprised
at how many of them can pull off the movie star swagger when they're
motivated by the right girl."

rrpjr
"Nevermind the girls for a moment (I know that's hard in our
feminized society) -- do these characters provide good role
models for boys and young men? Doesn't this matter?"

Faceless Commenter
"I'm not sure what the point of this column is, perhaps because my
sarcasm meter is broken? What I'm getting is some sort of complaint
that movies are glorifying teen boys who are nonpareils of manners, accomplishment, and selflessness. Surely that's sarcasm?"

Lenona.