Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan-TGWWW Bryan-TGWWW is offline

Default On waffles, pancakes, and Laura Ingalls Wilder

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:25:52 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:51:22 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 6:10:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> >>

> >> not sure how I'd vote on Bryan's literary efforts but at least it
> >> has some entertainment value
> >>

> >Did you read Winter's Present? Interestingly, another woman in Seattle
> >gave it a 1-star review, stating that it was "one of the worst books I've
> >ever read." I imagine that many folks would feel that way if they read it.
> >
> >I've taken to advising folks to give it what I call the Mac Arthur's Park
> >test. Anyone who thinks that MacArthur Park is a beautiful song that
> >could almost move the person to tears really should read Winter. Likewise,
> >anyone who thinks that MacArthur Park is so completely awful, that it's
> >actually good in a twisted way should read it. Everyone else (the majority
> >of folks) might want to pass on it, though it does have some humor that is
> >independent of liking the story.
> >
> >It is free one last time, from midnight to midnight PST on Valentine's Day.
> >
> >http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Presen.../dp/B00QJPEI6M
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY

> I haven't read your book, so I'm not commenting in any way, but who
> did you bribe to write that other review? Or did the Amazon
> Marketing Team do that?

I didn't bribe anyone. The guy's wife is someone I gave a free advance
copy to, and although he gave it 5 stars, I found the review more
insulting than the negative one. To suggest that my book is in any way
like 50... is no compliment, and he would certainly know that. I think
that it was a backhanded slap that was payback for me essentially calling
the guy a racist over comments he made about the Ferguson protesters.

Listen, if I had wanted to plant fake positive reviews, I would have, and
could have done so. I find it strange that of the well over a hundred
folks who downloaded the book on the free days, that there have been only
those 2 reviews. I suspect that there are folks who just download every
free book that pops up, and read almost none of them.

Oh, and my MacArthur Park thing was basically directed toward women. I
suspect that few men would read it. Certainly, any man's man, any guy who
likes movies with car chases and explosions, and who, if they'd been dragged
by the wife/GF to see The Fault In Our Stars, and would rather have a root
canal than sit through that again would hate it. You'd almost have to the
kind of guy who finds bubblegum pop truly meaningful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop

It is funny though, and unlike a rom-com movie, you can just flip past all
the sweet lovey-dovey stuff, and just enjoy the humor, which I suspect is
what some of the British readers are doing. As of a few days ago, I have
sold more *paid* copies in GBPs than in UDSs, and I can only think that it
has to do with the style of humor.

It *is* zero risk to download it of V-Day, when it's free.

> --
> Bruce

--Bryan