Wayne Boatwright

Default Whiskey & Plastic

(Roy Basan) wrote in
om:

wrote in message
>> Made a big cake soaked in bourbon from a recipe I found on the web
>> @cooks.com called Irish Whiskey Cake. It is very good and easy
>> because you start with cake mix & vanilla instant pudding. I would
>> like to keep some in the freezer but I'm not sure if the whiskey
>> (the cake is very moist) will not have a bad effect on the plastic
>> wrap. Will someone who knows their chemistry please tell me the
>> best way to freeze this cake? Thank you, Mari

> I do not see any chemical reaction,solvent effect and leaching of the
> polymer components from the plastic due to dissolution in ethanol from
> the whiskey.
>
> Roy

I bake about 30 pounds of fruitcake each year. After the cakes have been
allowed to mature (with repeated dowsings of brandy and rum), they are
really quite moist, almost wet. Before freezing, I wrap them directly in
numerous layers of plastic wrap, then in heavy duty foil. I have kept
them frozen for sometimes over a year. Regardless of storage time, I
have never noticed any flavor alteration of any type. AFAIK, there is no
interaction between the liquors and the plastic.

Wayne