Wayne

(alsilvers) wrote in
om:

> Do famous steak places like Peter Luger's, the
> Palm, and others use marinades or tenderizers or BUTTER in
> preparing there steaks, or do they simply take the raw meat straight
> from the cow, age it, and stick it under the broiler?
>
> I've always been somewhat curious if when you are ordering a steak,
> whether any ingredients have been added during the preparation. For
> example, I seem to recall reading that Peter Luger, in preparing the
> meat before broiling, actually rubs its Porterhouse with butter before
> broiling.
>
> IS this true, and is this common, or perhaps even done as a rule? Or
> is the meat normally just taken in pure, "unadulterated" form right to
> the oven?
>
> Al

I can't speak for Peter Luger's or The Palm, but I do know that Smith &
Wollensky's and Ruth's Chris both use butter. I was told by a server at
S&W that their finished steaks are dipped in a vat of melted butter, then
put back on the grill for a few seconds per side before plating. Ruth's
Chris brushes melted butter on the finished steaks before plating. I
suspect this is commonplace among many good steakhouses. I seriously
doubt that any good steakhouse uses a marinade, much less a tenderizer,
on prime meat.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.