Kswck

"alsilvers" > wrote in message
om...
> Do famous steak places like Peter Luger's, the
> Palm, and others use marinades or tenderizers or BUTTER in
> preparing there steaks, or do they simply take the raw meat straight
> from the cow, age it, and stick it under the broiler?
>
> I've always been somewhat curious if when you are ordering a steak,
> whether any ingredients have been added during the preparation. For
> example, I seem to recall reading that Peter Luger, in preparing the
> meat before broiling, actually rubs its Porterhouse with butter before
> broiling.
>
> IS this true, and is this common, or perhaps even done as a rule? Or
> is the meat normally just taken in pure, "unadulterated" form right to
> the oven?

Haven't been to Peter Luger's in many years, but from what I remember of
them, I believe they coat the steak in oil first (to prevent sticking on the
the grill) and then grilling at a high temp on one grill and moving it to
another, lower temp grill to finish it up. The butter is added after the
steak comes off the heat, partly for flavor and partly for
presentation-makes it glisten.