Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Baked Acorn Squash

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:51:11 -0800, koko > wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:58:33 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>>You cut it on the equator! Very pretty! I always cut my squash in half
>>the other way. Easier to stand it up in the pan.
>>
>>How did you get yours to sit straight? The acorn squash we get here
>>are usually pointy on the bottom.
>>
>>Doris
>>

>I trim off the ends so they'll sit still.

Both methods work but slicing north to south ensure that each half's
cavity is equal, slicing through their equater it's impossible to
judge so that each cavity is equal... I've already sliced acorn squash
through its equater and one half got like 80% of the cavity and the
other got the remaining 20%. Squash cavities are very equally spaced
port to starboard but not stem to stern. With butternut squash the
uneveness is much more pronounced, that's why I slice off the entire
narrow section and treat thet portion differently as it will have no
cavity... sometimes I create a cavity in that part with a melon
baller. Occasionally I will grill the halves that have no cavity long
and slow in the Weber so that they turn out like fat free gouda
cheese. Some years I havest hundreds of winter squash, I can't give
enough away as everyone around here grows them and it's not easy to
figure out how to cook them enough different ways. A lot of people
use butternut squash for baking pumpkin pie... when you buy canned
pumpkin it's actually butternut squash... they are so closely
botanically related that's it's legally permitted by the USDA.