In article >,
says...
> Do famous steak places like Peter Luger's, the
> Palm, and others use marinades or tenderizers or BUTTER in
> preparing there steaks, or do they simply take the raw meat straight
> from the cow, age it, and stick it under the broiler?
>
> I've always been somewhat curious if when you are ordering a steak,
> whether any ingredients have been added during the preparation. For
> example, I seem to recall reading that Peter Luger, in preparing the
> meat before broiling, actually rubs its Porterhouse with butter before
> broiling.
>
> IS this true, and is this common, or perhaps even done as a rule? Or
> is the meat normally just taken in pure, "unadulterated" form right to
> the oven?
>
> Al

I have no first-hand knowledge of any of the establishments you mention,
but it is a safe bet that they all use good meat. Prime beef, properly
aged and freshly cut. I'd be surprised if any of them rubs the steak
with butter before cooking (a burnt butter taste is very nasty), but
putting a few dabs of herbed butter on the steak immediately after
grilling is common in restaurants that serve good beef, and probably not
even worthy of mention on the menu.

Bob