Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> I've been inspired by what I've read in this newsgroup to enter some
> wild fruit and berry jellies in a local agricultural fair. I received
> the entry information in the mail yesterday. I hope to enter wild
> fruit jelly to draw attention to the preservation of wild fruit and
> berry bearing trees and shrubs.
>
> I've not been too concerned before with getting all the bubbles off
> the top of jelly but for the contest I think it has to be absolutely
> clear. I'm doing some test samples of a cup each to try and get it
> right before making the final batches. I've tried scooping scum off
> the rolling boiling juices without much success. I've also tried
> waiting for a skin for form on the top of the cooling juice and
> lifting it with a spoon and a fork but it keeps falling apart. I've
> even tried pouring the hot juice into the jar through a tea strainer
> but the scum bubbles go right through. Is there something I'm missing
> here?

It can be tedious sometimes, that's for sure, William. I've been using
a flat fine mesh skimmer to get the foam off. On jam, I use the bottom
of the skimmer - just set it atop the foam and pick it up, then rinse it
off and do it some more. :-) Sometimes I'll pick the foam from the
poured jar. And sometimes it's insignificant enough that I don't mess
with it.

I have less trouble with jelly - when it settles a bit (I pour from pot
to a 2-quart glass pitcher so I can pour my jelly into the jar rather
than ladle it) it's pretty easy to skim with either a big spoon or my
skimmer.

> Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.

> Does anyone know what causes the scum?

Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.