Posted to alt.food.wine
lleichtman lleichtman is offline

Default TN: Thanksgiving (US) and other wines- California, Burgundy, MSR

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:27:41 PM UTC-5, Bi!! wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:03:11 AM UTC-5, DaleW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:14:30 AM UTC-5, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> >
> > > But then Miles drank his prized Petrus which is, drum roll please, Merlot.

> > Think it was Cheval Blanc, which is blend of Merlot and Cab Franc (the other grape he dissed)

> Yes it was 1961 Cheval Blanc. My comments about Kistler were reflective of a trend that started back in the mid 1990's of riper fruit, 100% malolactic fermentation and 100% new Oak which tended to give the wines a very big, buttery, high alcohol profile that became a standard. I felt that Kistler initially made his wines in a more Burgundian style in those days but eventually moved towards the more oaky, buttery model over time. As California makers have moved away from this style, Kistler seemed to lag behind again in terms of the judicious use of oak.

I tend to agree with Bi!!. Kistler has jumped the shark for me in all ways. I really think they are way too oaky and I have never been a fan of their Pinot Noir. Their tasting room policy turns me off but then, I wouldn't really want to taste anything.