The Ranger

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:26:04 -0400, (Tampa Florida)
wrote:
> Having learned that hard salami is made by fermentation,
> I now wonder what is the difference between Genoa
> Salami and Hard Salami.

Per Epicurious.com:
salami
[suh-LAH-mee]
The name applied to a family of sausages similar to CERVELATS. Both
styles are uncooked but safe to eat without heating because they've
been preserved by curing. Salamis, however, tend to be more boldly
seasoned (particularly with garlic), coarser, drier and, unlike
cervelats, rarely smoked. Salamis are usually air-dried and vary in
size, shape, seasoning and curing process. Though they're usually made
from a mixture of beef and pork, the KOSHER versions are strictly
beef. Among the best-known Italian salamis are Genoa (rich, fatty and
studded with white peppercorns) and cotto (studded with black
peppercorns). The nonpork kosher salamis are cooked and semisoft.
Italian-American favorites include Alesandri and Alpino. FRIZZES and
PEPPERONI are also salami-type sausages. With the casing uncut, whole
dry salamis will keep for several years. Once cut, they should be
tightly wrapped and refrigerated for up to two weeks. Salami is best
served at room temperature and can be eaten as a snack or as part of
an ANTIPASTO platter, or chopped and used in dishes such as soups and
salads. See also SAUSAGE.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

> I love Supprosatta even though I don't know how to
> spell it.

"Sopressata" A salami made from cured-dry pork and flavored with black
peppercorns. This meat cures [air-dries] between 6-8 weeks. It comes
in very hot and not-so-hot flavors. The hotter variety is made with
ground red pepper. Beware purchasing this type unless you enjoy
spelling relief "R-O-L-A-I-D-S."

I'll dig through my archives and post my favorite recipe for preparing
it; it'll have to be later though.

The Ranger