View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster

Default Baking in bread machine

Hello Everyone, it's been a long time since I was here!

Now even older, I've developed one unbendable finger on my left hand and in January shall have surgery to release the nerves in my carpal tunnel in my right hand. Then I'll have to have similar surgery on my left hand.

While this painful condition has been developing I haven't been able to knead or stretch dough. Making dough in the mixer has relieved me of some of the work but not all and I still can't stretch and shape the loaves.

Some years ago I won a breadmaking machine, it was fun as a novelty for a time but I soon went back to hand making. Since my hands became crippled I got it down and used it once to make a conventional loaf - which wasn't bad but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. On the second use the machine died, its drive belt was so old that it crumbled and an integral cord had reamed a deep groove into a trunion on its previous use.

Spouse rang the maker and was told that no spares were available for this obsolete model but they were prepared to sell us a brand new all singing etc.. machine for a third of its retail price so he agreed.

It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it any day. In the meantime I've developed a very healthy, fragrant starter which is burping and smiling, just asking to be used.

Shall I be able to use it in a dough in the breadmaker? Has anyone any experience of this? If so,please will you give me tips?

After seventy years of breadmaking I don't want to have to buy commercial loaves - although last week we thoroughly enjoyed a sourdough loaf from a high end supermarket and it would be more than acceptable - although very expensive for a couple of state pensioners!

So, help and/or advice please.

And it's nice to be back and see some familiar names, especially Dick Adams'!

Mary