Roy Basan

Default crust color

"al" > wrote in message >...
> what are the factors affecting the baked dough crust color?I am talking
> about non egg-wash baked dough that natural crust color
> in result.
> the bagutte turned soft after 2 hrs out from the oven?what is the
> problems?
>

> --

The crust coloration in bread is the result of the interaction of the
residual sugars and amino acids due to Maillard's reaction.
Even if the dough is lean where the recipe is just flour,salt,yeast
and water; there fermentation reaction allows the formation of these
browning precursors mentioned above.
If you add sugars in the dough or even milk the components in those
substances will further promote crust browning.Just consider that milk
contains lactose and proteins which can also contribute to deeper
crust colour.
In order to get a good crust with breads you have to bake that in a
hot oven and preferably with steam.
If the baguette turns soft during cooling there are many factors;some
known ones are being slightly underbaked(low baking temperature as
well as not enough baking time). You may need to bake it long
enough.another, there is not enough steam to help form a thick crust
during the baking process.Another if you use too much steam you did
not vent it out in the last stage of the baking process.Another is the
recipe may be enriched with fat .
Normally bread crust do become soft during cooling due to moisture
migration from the bread crumb to the crust. Now if the crusty bread
was well baked and it has substantial crust it will take a long time
for that to happen in many cases both the crumb and crust will just
become hard.
A bread that has fat and sugar in it has softer crust than a bread
that is lean( no sugar and fat).
Now if you pack a normal french bread in an airtight container such
as polythene you are encouraging the crust to become soft specially
if you pack it while warm.But if you pack it in a porous container
such as a paper bag or parchment wrapper the softening tendency is
delayed if not prevented.
Roy