Posted to rec.food.cooking
Moe DeLoughan[_2_] Moe DeLoughan[_2_] is offline

Default How do you stop the political promo calls?

On 10/22/2014 2:26 PM, notbob wrote:
> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

There are two broad groups of political promo calls: those designed to
get out the vote, and those designed to dissuade people from voting.
The second type usually flood targeted communities shortly before the
election. The way they work is to either deliberately provide
misinformation (such as telling people to go vote at the wrong
precinct, or claiming election day is one day after its actual date)
or to antagonize voters by harassing them with endless calls
supposedly supporting the candidate(s) that the voters are most likely
to support. People understandably get ****ed off when their
candidate/party is *apparently* hounding them to death, and often
retaliate by voting for the opposing candidate, or not voting at all.
Mission accomplished.