Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Shadow[_3_] Shadow[_3_] is offline

Default How do I know my starter is bad

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:59:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Hi all.

><from Venezuela>
>
>How can I rescue my starter? I think has gone bad.

I'm from Brazil, which has a similar climate. I've left my
starter in the fridge for almost 6 months, and 2-3 re-seeding later
it's recovered. It's been going since 2002. Or thereabouts.
One teaspoon of the old starter to a cup of water and a cup of
flour. Mix well, leave out of the fridge in a glass jar with a loose
plastic cover for a day or two. Mix it at least twice a day. I use a
wooden "churrasco" stick to mix it.
One big problem we have here is the water, it's high in
chlorine because of all the germs. Levels are much higher in summer.
Are you using mineral/dechlorinated or tap water ?
If you have lost it, a new batch only takes around 10 days to
produce. Assuming ambient temperatures of 30 - 35 centigrade.
2-3 days to produce first bubbles - reseed
2-3 days with that horrible baby-puke smell - reseed
After that let it climb up the jar and re-seed it when it
starts to fall back on itself. When it smells fruity it's ready.
[]'s

Or you can try this guy's recipe:

Starter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou6_MkIvKOo