Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornstarch in cookies?

On 2014-10-12 5:11 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch?
> Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had
> no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose
> would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>
> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm
> the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

What a coincidence. I made an apple pie today and used cornstarch. I was
surprised that the cornstarch was in a cardboard box because I was sure
that I had bought a new one in plastic.... with the intention of reusing
the plastic with bulk cornstarch. It was in the cupboard behind the
cardboard box, and it had probably been there for a year. It is one
thing we will not ever likely run out of.

I cooked up some ox tails for supper and needed a bit of tomato paste. I
rarely use that stuff, but I had a tube of it in the fridge and there
are three cans of it in the cupboard.