Kevin Ross

Default quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

"Zed Rafi" > wrote...
> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking around this group for a while now.
> I was very interested by the message posted earlier saying it was possible
> to bake pizza ion the BBQ using unglazed quarry tiles instead of a pizza
> stone.
>
> Are these tiles any good??? No one gave testimonials as to whether it worked
> fine or not... Woogeroo, did you try it? If so, how did it go?
>
> thanks

They work great. I've been using them for a couple years now, since I
first saw it on Good Eats. I use the Mexican saltillo tiles at Home
Depot, $.98/ea.

The really nice thing about these versus a "real" pizza stone, is they
are so cheap, you don't care if you crack them or whatever. I buy
them by the box. I use them on the grill, in the oven, etc.

The only downside is, I've only been able to find them in 12" x 12"
sizes, nothing bigger. This is fine for personal pizzas, but you
can't go much bigger. You can always put several tiles together. The
pizza crust doesn't mind the "cracks" between the tiles.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin