Dick Wiegand

Default quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

Zed Rafi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking around this group for a while now.
> I was very interested by the message posted earlier saying it was possible
> to bake pizza ion the BBQ using unglazed quarry tiles instead of a pizza
> stone.
>
> Are these tiles any good??? No one gave testimonials as to whether it worked
> fine or not... Woogeroo, did you try it? If so, how did it go?
>
> thanks

I think some people are missing the point, althought I haven't followed the
complete thread.

The purpose of the tiles is to provide a mass to store heat. A modren pizza
oven has a very heavy plate on which pizzas are cooked on, while there are also
ceramic (stone/brick) etc. ovens fired from below. Most are totally lined.

Old bread baking ovens were actually stone/bric/clay, and you built a fire in
them to heat up the mass of stone/brick/clay, and then swept out remains of
fire, and bake until too cold.

I have a friend who lined his oven with mexican pavers (unglazed), and there is
a commercial product out now, that covers bottom, sides and back of ovens and
fits together by interlocking.

Best bet is to go to a masonery supply store - you don't want bricks that could
contain any lead or other harmful things that may be released when they are
heated -- same thing applied to glaze - gotta watch out for heavy metals.

Dick