Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:

>>> Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> The following would help in answering your question
>>>
>>> What kind of Diabetes do you have?
>>>
>>> How have you decided to deal with it?
>>> --- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
>>> --- low carb and drug free

>> The cost of food is a big issue while we endure austerity so the Tories
>> can line the offshore bank accounts of their fatcat chums.
>>
>> Its T2 controlled by Metformin, sort of a fine balance with the threat
>> of insulin never too far away!
>>
>> Red beans were just an example of the basics from the local Asian food
>> market - the beans would have to be boiled until all the froth had been
>> scooped off, not really practical in a microwave.

> Hi Ian,
>
> Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
> (sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
> it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
> on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
> drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
> my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
> to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.

Please do not listen to Todd. Just because *he* had some issues that he
thinks were related to Metformin doesn't mean that you will. It's once of
the safest drugs around.

As for Todd's lashing out, he has done that a lot here. He gets angry at
people who don't share his way of thinking and then puts them in his
killfile. He also says nasty things about people and claims that they are
not nasty.

> Consider your Tori remark may be the metformin speaking. You
> may also just think that. As I told myself when I was taking
> Metformin, even paranoid have enemies.
>
> Anyway, if your choice is to do the drug and high carb route,
> then I really don't have any advice. Just pick out nice shoes
> for your future prosthetic feet and a good dialysis center
> while you can still see.

Again, please ignore Todd. Please!

> If you decide to go the low carb, drug free route, here is
> a good web site to start with:
>
> http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/
>
> As for the way I do it (I am drug free for a year now), I
> remind myself of my Grandmother. I cook up a whole bunch
> of stuff most of the day on Sunday. Then I refrig or
> freeze most of it. Some times I blanch and deep freeze
> whatever abundance I have from the garden. Then during
> the week, I microwave what I cooked on Sunday. It is our
> form of fast food.
>
> I am also blessed by a trophy wife that eats what I
> eat so I am never tempted to go back to anything
> high carb (red beans, for example) that injured me in
> the first place. remember that T2 is an injury, not
> a disease.
>
> Other primals and paleos (I am primal) have discussed
> the fast food issue. They usually wind up cooking me.
> Some will buy a rotisserie chick on the way home. I
> don't, because they are so rancid, they make me want
> to hurl.
>
> -T
>
> Congrads on England staying in one piece.

Low carb may work for some people. Certainly not all. And low carb can
have its consequences too. For me, the consequence is high blood sugar.
And rotisserie chickens are not rancid. Another thing he is lying about.