wesley

Default crust color

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:56:03 +0800, al wrote:

> what are the factors affecting the baked dough crust color?
> I am talking about non egg-wash baked dough that natural crust
> color in result.
> the bagutte turned soft after 2 hrs out from the oven?what is
> the problems?

The two primary factors affecting the color of a crust are the temperature
of the oven and the inclusion of sugar (or similar ingredients)in the
dough that will carmelize or brown faster or more-so than just flour.

As for turning soggy soon after removal from oven, the most likely factor
was the interior was underbaked and too much moisture remained in the
dough. This softened the crust from the inside out.

Of course, improper storage of freshly baked bread can also soften the
crust. The loaf should not be put in a closed container or bag until
completely cool.