Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>
>I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
>in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
>not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
>yours?

I've grown most winter squash.
I never peel acorn or butternut squash, I cut in half, scoop out the
seeds, fill the cavity with butter, honey, saw-seege, whatever, and
bake until the skin crisps, scoop out the flesh and enjoy eating the
skin. If you want winter squash in cubes buy a larger variety of
winter squash, like hubbard or banana... they can grow huge, most
markets sell chunks by the pound.
http://localfoods.about.com/od/winte...r-Squash_7.htm
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/wsquash.cfm
http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html
Didja know that when you buy canned pumpkin it's actually butternut
squash.