Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Visitor

On 9/19/2014 12:30 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 9/16/2014 6:32 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> This afternoon long time internet friend Bob Baron came by for a few
>> hours to visit. His parents are in Porter, TX, not to far from where we
>> live. Bob is a large young man and very amiable. Brought us a house gift
>> of two jars of crab apple jelly, one of the jellies we've never eaten.
>> In return he got a jar of pear and another of blackberry.
>>
>> Nice visit and he's back to his parents home and then off to Minnesota
>> tomorrow morning. That's Number two of the rfp folks we've met, first
>> one was Barb Schaller several years ago. So far all the folks we've met
>> on the internet, which is about ten or twelve, have been nice people.
>>
>> George

> I'm back in Minnesota now, where the weather is downright chilly. Quite
> a shock from the 95° with 98% humidity in Porter. I tried to reply last
> night, but couldn't think of anything to say cuz I get embarrassed when
> people say nice things about me.
>
> George has a lovely home, with fruit trees and a small but productive
> garden. No wasted space (although some of it is fallow at the moment);
> he even has Swiss chard in the front flower bed. I promise not to tell
> the HOA.
>
> Miz Anne is quite the artist, and Tilly Dawg is quite a character. Good
> people, all of 'em.
>
> * * *
>
> My brother made some hibiscus jam this year from homegrown "roselle"
> hibiscus pods. Just hibiscus and sugar (and a little water of course) A
> lot of work and he's disappointed because it just tastes "red". My next
> preserving project will be to see if I can make hibiscus jelly from the
> dried "flor de Jamaica" at the local Mexican grocery. (I'll need Certo
> for that because I won't have the seeds where most of the pectin is,
> just the calyxes) Since I don't have a recipe, I'll just boil the
> hibiscus to extract the juice, then process it like cranberry.
>
> Bob

I made some rose petal jelly a million years ago. It sucked big time,
never made it again. Was just a pinkish sugar jelly.

Hey, don't get embarrassed, you are a nice guy even if you are a little
shy. <G>

I'm sure the family was glad to see you back, now that you know the way
don't be a stranger. If I had known you were from Porter I might have
steered you away. <G>

George