Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara Tara is offline

Default Salon article: "...Children's Literature, and How We Learn toLove Food"

I love food writing in children's literature.

Heidi - goat's milk that tastes like it has cinnamon and sugar added,
goat cheese melted over the fire, the rolls Heidi saves for Grandmother

Paddington Bear - orange marmelade

Little Women - The girls give away their Christmas muffins for breakfast
and are rewarded with a beautiful table full of ice cream and cake.
Amy's failed lobster salad, salt instead of sugar in the strawberries,
blancmange ...

Little House on the Prairie - hogshead cheese, homemade cheese, butter
churning, endless salt pork and potatoes, cracklings, vanity cakes, fresh
milk, the wheat in the wall, green pumpkin pie, baked beans, ginger tea,
vinegar water, game, fish, sourdough, Christmas dinner in May to
celebrate the arrival of the train featuring a roast turkey and apple pie
after seven months of near starvation, parched corn at Thanksgiving,
roast suckling pig, the excitement of lemonade and oranges, honey,
special sugar for company

Farmer Boy - fried apples and onions, huge daily meals, pie for
breakfast, twisted doughnuts, not those newfanged doughnuts with holes,
pulled candy, ice cream

My Side of the Mountain - fishing, foraging, boiling water in a leaf

All of a Kind Family - potato kugel, big sour pickles, broken crackers,
chocolate babies, hamantaschen, Purim baskets, latkes, chicken soup, rice
soup (Sarah wouldn't eat it), smoked salmon skin as a free treat from the
store owner, matzo, fasting, the Passover seder, limburger cheese
sandwiches, blintzes, spiced chickpeas and baked sweet potatoes from a
street vendor, candied fruit. I still wish I could have spiced chickpeas
in a paper cone from that street vendor.