Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>LAST year!!
>
>THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
>Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>with 7 blues! W00t!
>
>So, the blues were for
>Blackberry Jelly
>Cherry Jelly
>Raspberry Jelly
>Nectarine Jam
>Strawberry Jam
>Apricot Butter
>Stewed Tomatoes
>
>Second place for
>Peach Jam
>Watermelon Pickles
>

>Third place for
>Strawberry Jelly
>Apricot Jam
>Cherry Jam
>
>AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
>Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>Hear me roar! ;-)
>
>--

Rather late congratulations, Barb but, way to go, again!
Here it is, evening of Aug. 26/14 and I'm just getting around to
reading your report posted Aug. 21/14.
The last year had been a bit tough for me as well. Somewhat like
yours, a couple of good friends passed on but, the hardest was cancer
taking my baby brother. He was only 74 and in just a few more weeks
I'll be 80 so it really should have been me.
Not doing much preserving this year so far, terrible weather has made
the garden bounty rather sparse.
Gerry and I did manage to build a nice 10'x10' garden shed and did the
whole thing ourselves except for shingling the roof, one of the kids
did that.
Hottest day so far this year was today, 88ºF with humidity making it
feel like 106ºF. Predictions are for tomorrow to be about 70ºF.
Anyway, it's good to see your name on some posts again.
Keep on jammin'.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada