Posted to rec.food.cooking
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

Default The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

On 2014-08-22 11:13:53 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> On 2014-08-22 01:40:06 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:
>
>> On 2014-08-22 00:28:47 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>>
>>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>>> LAST year!!
>>>
>>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>>>
>>> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>>> opening today and continuing

>> That's awesome. My late grandmother took quite a few prizes at the
>> Minnesota State Fair for her pies and jams, as well as her kolaches.
>>
>> I have her recipe for kolaches but they never quite turn out as well somehow.

> Hi, Bob -- what is your late grandmother's name? And did she come by
> that interest in kolachky honestly? Slovak or Czech? :-) My People
> are from NE Slovakia. AND, you should come visit the Minnesota State
> Fair soon. It is the 12 best days of summer, donchaknow.
> --

She was Czech - her clan came to Cedar Rapids about the turn of the
century. I prefer not to name her in order to preserve what precious
little anonymity I have on the Internet (Bob Davis is *NOT* my real
name), but she passed on over thirty years ago.

I haven't been to the Fair in ages. Even though I know there's a lot
going on there, I was really bummed out when they dumped Machinery
Hill! I make my way back about once a year, sometimes every other
year. One of these times I'm sure I'll go back to The Fair!