Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Hello, Susan?

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/21/2014 1:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have been getting these calls for a long time. The first time I got
>> one, I was picking my daughter up at school so it was probably May or
>> June. The call had come in while I was driving so I couldn't answer.
>> When I played back the voice mail, it was from someone at AARP about a
>> job that Susan had applied for. So I called the number back to tell
>> them that they had the wrong number but there was no answer. I left a
>> message.
>>
>> This same scenario played out several times. Couldn't answer.
>> Voicemail. Left message.
>>
>> Finally I was able to get a live body when I called but each time, the
>> woman on the phone sounded very confused. She said there were 10 people
>> who worked there and she had no idea who had called.
>>
>> But finally, just now, the woman called and I was able to answer. It
>> was AARP in Seattle. She sounded very astounded to hear that there was
>> no Susan here. Asked me if I was sure and even read back my phone
>> number to me.
>>
>> I hope that was the last of it. But AARP must be very desperate for a
>> new employee if they have been calling over a 3-4 month time span to try
>> to contact Susan!
>>

> That ain't nothing. I had somebody calling me for 10 years asking for a
> Mark. I told them that the number they called was a fax line for a
> business but they didn't ever believe me. After a while it became a
> running joke. Boy, those guys were persistent! When I moved my office, I
> realized that a fax line was not needed in a world where you could attach
> a PDF to email.
>
> These days I only have one line but now I don't even need a land line. My
> guess is that a lot of small businesses are ditching their land lines and
> using cells instead.

Oh yes! We tried to refinance our house three years ago. Since my husband
was in another state, we had to do every piece of paperwork separately. The
woman at the bank kept telling me to fax things to him. Although the
printer I had at the time could be used as a fax machine, it wasn't hooked
up to do so. So I had to keep driving to Pony Express and paying a pretty
penny each time. Once, he managed to loose some 20 or so pages and I had to
do it all over again. It was very time consuming and frustrating. And then
we couldn't refinance because the VA hadn't sent my husband some paperwork
that he needed.

So imagine my surprise when the following year, a guy from the bank told me
that all I had to do was scan things! Part of the problem with the old
printer was that it stopped doing PDF files. It had been doing them fine
ever since I got it until the day that it wouldn't work. I was trying to
print off our insurance cards. I can't remember what the problem was now
but some sort of known problem and I had to download a patch. Then all of a
sudden instead of doing PDF files, it had to convert them to JPEGs. That
was my 2nd or perhaps 3rd Lexmark printer. An emergency purchase. My old
one broke and I had to get a new one right away but didn't have much money.
Mistake!

My current one is HP and it is wireless. I did research for months before I
got it. No problems. I also like that I can scan checks to make deposits
at my bank.