Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

Default Powell: Mountain sheep feast

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:54:39 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>> "Ka'-pu-rats" is the name by which I am known among the Utes and
>> Shoshones, meaning "arm off."
>> </powell>

>Keep these posts up, I'm loving reading the expedition logs again, thanks!

Unfortunately there are more no more "food" references. There are two
long paragraphs on the indigenous people's food gathering and
processing habits that I may post but the rest is all "On the physical
features of the Valley of the Colorado", "The cranial and dental
characteristics of Geomydie", and suchlike. (This is a government
report after all.)

There is also a fascinating account of a campfire recitation/enactment
of the legend of "The One-Two", apparently a pair of twin boys who
revenge the murder of their father and abduction of their mother
(pages 116-122). What a great animated cartoon it would make... But
not of the Disney sort, more like the animated sequences in "The Wall"
or "A liar's autobiography: The untrue story of Monty Python's Graham
Chapman".

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com