Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

Default Powell: Mountain sheep feast

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:48:24 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>> I had completely missed that. Powell doesn't mention it of course and
>> I don't think it's referred to in Dan Snow's "Operation Grand Canyon",
>> a BBC documentary (BBC) about re-running a part of the expedition in
>> boats similar to those used in 1869.

>Powell was a tough minded, good commander and explorer - he never used
>his arm as an excuse for anything.

I watched the Snow documentary again last night and the narrator does
mention the disability (if it may be called that in Powell's case)
twice, in fairly quick succession and almost as if it were an
unimportant detail, in the introduction. Yesterday I discovered that
in his report of the 1872 expedition Powell does mention the fact,
albeit obliquely, on pages 129-130:

<powell>
"... We will tell the Indians on the other side of the great river
that we have seen Ka'-pu-rats, and he is the Indians' friend..."
"Ka'-pu-rats" is the name by which I am known among the Utes and
Shoshones, meaning "arm off."
</powell>

--
Bob