Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dario Niedermann Dario Niedermann is offline

Default Good procedures for better tea.

xeiman > wrote:

> Hi, I'd like to ask you which temperature do you use to infuse tea
> leaves. I use to boil water and then turn off the boiler, waiting some
> seconds and put leaves in it, but temperature is very random (about 95
> - 99 °C).

Putting the leaves into the boiler sounds strange. But then I don't know
what kind of boiler you've got.

> What are your habits?

I have always made black tea by quickly pouring the still boiling water
from the kettle into the nearby pre-warmed teapot.

Just yesterday, though, I came across a blog post claiming to report a
method taught by an elderly English lady. It contradicts practically
everything I know about water temperature for black tea, namely it
advises to:

- turn off the heat for about 1 minute after the water has boiled, and
then pour it into the 'pot;

- open the teapot mid-infusion and stir the tea leaves with a spoon
(more loss of warmth!)

It does prescribe a tea cozy, so maybe that compensates.

--
Dario Niedermann. Also on the Internet at:

gopher://retro-net.org/1/dnied/ , http://devio.us/~ndr/